Saturday, October 12, 2013

Healthy fall side dish

I have been busying making lots of fall foods the past couple weeks but not blogging about any of the them! (Don't worry I will catch up with more posts)  Starting the month of October I have been on a quest to eat healthier by focusing on vegetables.   I was inspired by watching Barefoot Contessa on the food network roast vegetables.  I went to the grocery store and picked up tons of in season vegetables.  It's so EASY! Literally, you cut the vegetables, drizzle with olive oil, add seasoning (garlic powder or fresh garlic, onion powder, pepper), and bake for 40 minutes on 425 degrees.  In most recipes they recommend adding salt, however, I am trying to reduce salt intake.  I did not add any additional salt and it was still delicious!

Specifically, I decided to roast brussel sprouts, red onion, and sweet potatoes.  Why this combination?  It just sounded good to me.  I made sure to cut all vegetables similar in size to ensure they roasted evenly.  The prep took me about five minutes! Total cost of dish....$3.23.


The final product.... This is a healthy quick alternative to other side dishes during the weeknights when you are short on time.  A perfect way to take advantage of fall vegetables as well.

What are some of your favorite healthy fall dishes?  I hope everyone enjoys their long (hopefully) Columbus Day weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS